After coming across a humorous article about “real” Miamians, I decided to ask, “How do you know if you’re a real Australian?” Here are the answers I received.
- You nod and say g’day when you walk past a complete stranger.
- You’ve chanted, ”Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!”
- You’ve eaten Vegemite, meat pies, pavlova, Tim Tams and lamingtons.
- You’ve bet on the Melbourne Cup.
- You have spider webs in your home.
- You’ve swung on a Hills Hoist.
- You’ve used a wine cask bladder for a pillow.
- You call a wine cask bladder a ‘goon sack’.
- You’ve been to the footy.
- You shorten your words (i.e. footy for football).
- You understand that three words can be easily compressed into one (i.e. dyareckon, whaddaya, cuppa, onya.
- You don’t drink Foster’s Lager. You do drink everything else.
- You know Woop Woop is in the middle of nowhere, but you don’t quite know where.
- You’ve had singlet and/or thong tan lines at some stage in your life.
- You understand that a thong isn’t an undergarment.
- You ate Yowies as a kid.
- You know social media always ruins TV shows for you (because the episodes haven’t aired yet in Australia).
- You know who Skippy is.
- You know we don’t drive on the other side of the road.
- You love a burger with beetroot.
- You know how good fairy bread is.
Lorraine over at allaboutwordswa created her own list so be sure to check it out.
Do you have anything to add to the list?
About the image: Beach thongs by John White.